The core subjects taught at Cliftondale are reading, language arts, math, science and social studies. A variety of methods are used to deliver instruction, both innovative and traditional. All core subjects are taught within the balanced literacy and blended mathematics framework:
- Reading and Language Arts are taught utilizing a combination of methodologies covering the areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, vocabulary, fluency, reading comprehension, and writing.
- Math is taught using a blended and hands on approach where the students can relate theory to practical application (e.g., use of manipulatives – physical tools that students can use to actually model the problem at hand.) Math instruction covers the areas of numbered operations, measurement, data analysis and probability, pre-algebra, and geometry.
- Science is also taught using a hands-on approach that varies according to grade level. Science curriculum covers earth science, physical science, and life science.
- Social studies are taught with an understanding of the social and cultural context of our world. Cooperation and interactive activities are featured in Social Studies along with reading and writing about US and world history, geography, civics and government, and economics.
- Technology is used in each academic area to promote communication, information processing, and technology literacy. Our goal is to produce students that are prepared for 21st century technology.
- Additional academic courses are taught in the areas of Health, Physical Education, Art, Music, Talented and Gifted, and media literacy.
In all classes, teachers teach with the knowledge that students have many different learning styles and capabilities. Hence, teachers strive to recognize each child’s ability level and challenge him or her accordingly providing guidance in order to grow to new levels of competency. Each classroom at Cliftondale is a motivating environment where children are encouraged to perform at their highest level.
We are committed to making sure students are successful in all content areas. We offer an Extended Day/Extending Learning program for students in grades 3, 4, and 5. This program focuses on Reading, Mathematics, and Science. Students are paired with certified teachers and given intense instruction in these areas. Instructional practices include hands-on activities as well as experiments and technology. Extended Day/Extended Learning is from October until March. Students receive snack and transportation during the program.