The 2016-17 school year was a great success for the Evoline C. West students, staff, and community. Please read below to hear about our biggest accomplishments this year.
- We opened our technology lab where students in all grade levels created multi-media projects tied to the science curriculum. Projects included coding, stop motion film and the use of a green screen.
- Evoline C. West was awarded the highest honor of Platinum by the Georgia Shape Honor Roll, which recognizes elementary, middle, and high schools for their dedication to creating a healthy school environment and a culture of wellness for staff, students, and community.
- Several students received a Distinguished level in both ELA AND Math on the Georgia Milestone Assessment. Those student names were put into a drawing and 17 of those students received computers from Wal-Mart.
- Georgia Milestone Accomplishments include:
- Grade 3 ELA GMAS +5% Proficient and Above
- Grade 4 ELA GMAS +14% Proficient and Above
- Grade 4 Math GMAS +21% Proficient and Above
- Highest gains in FCS on 4th grade Math GMAS in Proficient and Above category
- We were awarded a Tiny Grant by the Governor's Office of Student Achievement. Fifth grade students will use Bloxels and Bricklab kits to create and operate their own video games while researching environmental topics to learn about how they are impacting the planet and how the community can work to solve these problems.
- The School Governance Council partnered with Wal-Mart, the Cedar Grove Community Association and the City of Fairburn for a successful school beautification day.
Our goals for the 2017-18 school year include:
- We will become a Georgia State STEM certified school. Look for monthly newsletters about what your child is learning in STEM and how you can support. New this year, Kindergarten and 1st grade students will participate in STEM.
- We have partnered with Zoo Atlanta for the next three years. The zoo will be working with students and teachers in 3rd grade for the 2017-18 school year.
- We will continue our focus on literacy. We now have a full-time literacy coach that will support teachers in best practices in literacy.
- We will receive Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) state certification. PBIS is an evidence-based, data-driven framework proven to reduce disciplinary incidents, increase a school's sense of safety and support improved academic outcomes.
- We will increase partnerships with faith-based organizations. Please let me know if your faith-based organization is interested in supporting the school in any way.
- We are a uniform school. Students will wear uniforms Monday through Thursday, which will create a sense of school spirit and community.
I sincerely thank all of you for supporting me, our staff, and students. I look forward to another great year!
Jennifer W. Burton
Evoline C. West Elementary School
Georgia School Superintendent Presents STEM Banner to Evoline C. West Elementary
Evoline C. West is the first South Fulton school to earn state STEM certification