NORTH SPRINGS Honor Code and Recovery Policies
To further the goals of the North Springs Charter High School Strategic Plan to provide students with access to customized learning, students do not have permission to fail. As a community of educators who understand that a grade of zero can devastate a student’s ability to demonstrate content knowledge through the earned grade, the teachers at North Springs will customize student learning by allowing students to redo assignments and to recover from failing grades.
As a community that values academic honesty and seeks to provide the highest levels of learning for students, the North Springs administration, faculty, parents, and students do not tolerate cheating.
As stated in the above Fulton County Board of Education Policy, cheating includes:
- Copying or borrowing from another source and submitting it as one’s own work – including plagiarizing sources from the internet
- Seeking or accepting unauthorized assistance from anyone on tests, projects, or other assignments
- Providing or receiving test questions in advance without permission
- Working collaboratively with other students when individual work is expected – including homework
- Other offenses as determined by administration
Copying, plagiarism on a research paper or project, receiving or giving answers during a test or quiz, providing answers on an assignment which should have been completed by an individual student will have the following consequences for all classes:
- First offense – Zero on the assignment; parent notification; teacher requires assignment completion for 50%; assignments not redone will remain a zero
- Second offense – Zero on the assignment; parent notification
- Third and further offenses – Zero on the assignment; parent notification; disciplinary referral to administrator
Consequences will be applied if cheating occurs on any work submitted by a North Springs student in an event, competition, or contest in which he\she represents the school system.
Additional possible consequences may include exclusion from interscholastic activities and extracurricular activities, as determined by the administrator.
Teachers will offer remediation assignments and/or remediation (help) sessions and/or individual remediation sessions for students who fail to meet the objectives of the standards covered in the curriculum.
Students may request to redo missing work or work which resulted in a zero, within the six weeks in which the assignment occurred, but no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. Teachers may extend the time period allowed based on extenuating student and/or teacher circumstances. After the student has completed/redone all work, resulting in no recorded zeroes, if the student’s CUMULATIVE average is below a 70%, the student may request a teacher determined recovery assignment designed to bring the student’s CUMULATIVE average to a maximum 70%.
I have read the North Springs Charter High School Honor Code and Recovery policies. I understand the
consequences of an honor code violation. I understand the process for recovery.
Student Name Printed ___________________________Student Signature__________________________________