Principal's Parent Update
August 21, 2017
The solar eclipse of 2017 today! The metro Atlanta area is expected to experience 98% coverage at approximately 2:36 pm. North Springs as a school does not have any school wide activities planned due to the size of our student body. Students will be inside the building from 1:30pm until dismissal at 3:30pm. Teachers will be able to live stream the eclipse coverage in their classrooms. Students leaving campus to view the eclipse with family or friends must do so by 12:30pm. The delayed release of elementary school students may have an impact on our bus riders later today, as buses will be off the road from 2:15 to 3:05. This NASA website has a wealth of information regarding the eclipse event. https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
1.Student schedule changes for those that submitted orange forms are underway. Counselors expect to have those completed early this week. Now that our numbers have stabilized there will be some leveling of classes to ensure we don't have overloaded classrooms.
2. We distributed MS Surface tablets to over 1200 students last week. There are a couple of classes who did not make it to the distribution will be accommodated this week:
- Any student that did not receive their device should sign up for a make-up deployment Tuesday and Thursday during 5th and 6th period in the media center.
- Device agreements are available in the media center and can be dowloaded here Device User Agreement 2017-18.pdf
- Students have 1 week to report any damage with their device and device accessories before they are held responsible
3. Curriculum Night will be Thursday, 9/14 at 6pm. This is an opportunity for parents to visit the school, meet your child's teachers, and learn more about all of the great things going on at North Springs. Additionally the fabulous North Springs Drama department will be hosting a free performance of their fall presentation, "The Brothers Grimm" at 8:00pm, right after the conclusion of curriculum night. It's our short, theater competition show. Come watch our students in action at this fun filled performance:
- "The fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm are turned on their heads in this fast-paced, rollicking ride as two narrators and several actors attempt to combine all 209 stories ranging from classics like Snow White, Cinderella, and Hansel and Gretel to more bizarre, obscure stories like The Devil's Grandmother and The Girl Without Hands. A wild, free-form comedy with lots of audience participation and madcap fun."
4. The College and Career Center will officially open on Tuesday, September 5th. It will be open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday during all lunches. The CCC will also be open during scheduled college and university visits. A schedule of college and university visits will be posted soon, along with the sign-up process. If you have immediate questions or need and ACT/SAT waiver, please see Ms. Lewis in A101 during 5th period lunches.
5. Picture day for 9th, 10th, and 11th graders is THIS Friday, August 25th. Any student who misses this day can take his or her picture on Sept 22. Students will take picture through Language Arts classes and will also receive ordering information from ELA teachers.
6. Seniors may still sign up for limited spots for the Yearbook Only session with Legacy at NS on September 5th and 6th. $10 fee – pay when signing up. Otherwise, students have until September 30th to book a studio appointment with Legacy. Visit Legacystudios.com for more information.
7. The Gear Up day special for yearbooks (Yearbook + Lit Mag) will run until 8/31 for $ 85. This special will include four free icons with personalization of yearbook. Hurry – we SOLD OUT of yearbooks last year!! Order online at Jostens.com. Parents of seniors interested in purchasing a senior add in yearbook will have until the end of the semester to do so. Visit Jostens.com and search for "North Springs" for more information.
8. A reminder about car traffic and rider pick up and drop off inside campus. Many parents enter North Springs HS from Roswell Road, and attempt to drop students off right at the top of the hill. This poses safety problems for our students as people stop unexpectedly at the corner. There was a recent fender bender at this precise point which snarled traffic even more than normal. This corner at the top of the hill is a designated cross walk, and stopping also creates a hazard for students crossing. Please proceed into the parking lot to the designated drop off area to ensure students are dropped off safely.
9. The 2017-2018 Fulton County Code of Student Conduct is available for review. Paper copies will not be provided to students this year in favor of the electronic format. Please review the Code of Conduct on the district website.
English version: https://www3.fultonschools.org/codeconduct
Spanish version: https://www3.fultonschools.org/codeconduct/home/indexspa
10. Student accident insurance is available from the district. Please see the enclosed attachment for more information. Student Accident Insurance Parent Letter_English.pdf Student Accident Insurance Parent Letter_Spanish.pdf
11. School Cafeteria Information: FCS has moved to a new school lunch money provider, MyPaymentsPlus. Please see the attachment for more information and how to deposit money for school lunch accounts. Free or Reduced Lunch information and applications is available at the Fulton Schools Nutrition website; http://www.fultonschools.org/en/divisions/ops/Nutrition/Pages/default.aspx
12. State School Superintendent Richard Woods is seeking middle & high school students to serve on his 2017-2018 Student Advisory Council. These students will meet with Superintendent Woods to discuss the impact of state policies in the classroom, along with other issues related to education, and will serve as the Superintendent's ambassadors to their respective schools.
Applicants enrolled in a Georgia public high school for the 2017-18 school year may apply:
"The Student Advisory Council is an absolutely invaluable resource for the Georgia Department of Education team as we make decisions that impact students and classrooms," Superintendent Woods said. "Nothing can replace the opportunity to hear directly from students about their experience in Georgia's public schools and what we can improve. I'm looking forward to meeting and working with this year's Student Advisory Council members."
13. Here is the weekly calendar that lists the major events happening at school this week. This list is accurate on the calendar when it is created, but may change or be cancelled due to weather and transportation issues. Week at a Glance- 08-21 to 08-26.pdf
North Spring communicates with the community in multiple ways. Please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter to stay up to date with all the great things happening at North Springs.
Scott Hanson, Principal
North Springs Charter High School
Good Morning Spartans!
Daily Announcements are added to the website every morning under the News tab.
Here's the link to stay informed.
School Governance Council
The next meeting will be September 14 at 4:30-6pm. Join us if you can before Curriculum Night!
Follow us on Twitter @ NSSpartans or