Principal's Parent Update
August 14, 2017
The solar eclipse of 2017 is a mere week away on Monday August 21. The metro Atlanta area is expected to experience 98% coverage at approximately 2:36 pm. North Springs as a school does not have any school wide activities planned due to the size of our student body. Students will be inside the building from 1:30pm until dismissal at 3:30pm. Teachers will be able to live stream the eclipse coverage in their classrooms. We know that many parents and students will want to view this historic, once in a lifetime event, and schools are allowed to code absences as excused for students who are partaking in events off campus. The district has sent out messages regarding the holding of elementary school students until the main part of the eclipse has passed. Middle schools and high schools will start and end the day as planned. The delayed release of elementary school students may have an impact on middle school and high school bus riders later in the day, as buses will be off the road from 2:15 to 3:05. This NASA website has a wealth of information regarding the eclipse event. https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
- Student schedule changes for those that submitted orange forms are underway. Counselors expect to have those completed early this week. Now that our numbers have stabilized there will be some leveling of classes to ensure we don't have overloaded classrooms.
- The 2017-2018 Fulton County Code of Student Conduct is available for review. Paper copies will not be provided to students this year in favor of the electronic format. Please review the Code of Conduct on the district website.
English version: https://www3.fultonschools.org/codeconduct
Spanish version: https://www3.fultonschools.org/codeconduct/home/indexspa
Surface Table deployment begins tomorrow. Here is important information about the process:
- Deployment will take place August 15, 16, and 17. Students will pick up their tablet with their 3rd period teacher one of the three days.
- Device agreements can be picked up from the media center, front desk or printed out.
- In order to get a tablet, students must turn in their device agreement. Even if a student had a tablet last year, he/she must submit a new agreement this year. Device User Agreement 2017-18.pdf to their 3rd period teacher.
- Teachers will be using devices at least once per week in instruction.
- Families have an option to take out insurance in case of damage or theft (insurance info in device agreement).
A reminder about car traffic and rider pick up and drop off inside campus. Many parents enter North Springs HS from Roswell Road, and attempt to drop students off right at the top of the hill. This poses safety problems for our students as people stop unexpectedly at the corner. There was a fender bender last week at this precise point which snarled traffic even more than normal. This corner at the top of the hill is a designated cross walk, and stopping also creates a hazard for students crossing. Please proceed into the parking lot to the designated drop off area to ensure students are dropped off safely.
Congrats to Varsity Football Spartans in their preseason win (41-28) against the Mt. Vernon Mustangs! North Springs opens their regular season August 25 at KIPP Academy. Go Spartans!
State School Superintendent Richard Woods is seeking middle and high school students to serve on his 2017-2018 Student Advisory Council. These students will meet with Superintendent Woods to discuss the impact of state policies in the classroom, along with other issues related to education, and will serve as the Superintendent's ambassadors to their respective schools.
Applicants must be enrolled in a Georgia public middle or high school for the 2017-18 school year. To apply:
Middle school students will meet October 3, January 17, and April 10.
High school students will meet October 4, January 18, April 11.
"The Student Advisory Council is an absolutely invaluable resource for the Georgia Department of Education team as we make decisions that impact students and classrooms," Superintendent Woods said. "Nothing can replace the opportunity to hear directly from students about their experience in Georgia's public schools and what we can improve. I'm looking forward to meeting and working with this year's Student Advisory Council members."
Here is the weekly calendar that lists the major events happening at school this week. This list is accurate on the calendar when it is created, but may change or be cancelled due to weather and transportation issues. Week at a Glance- 08-14 to 08-19.pdf
North Spring communicates with the community in multiple ways. Please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter to stay up to date with all the great things happening at North Springs.
Those are all your updates for the week of August 14h. Have a great 2nd week!
Scott Hanson, Principal
North Springs Charter High School
Follow us on Twitter @ NSSpartans or