Parent Meeting, September 11, 2018
8th Grade Washington, D.C. Trip 2019
- Trip Dates: Wednesday, May 8 to Saturday, May 11, 2019
- October 15, 2018 – Deposit of $195 (payable online or in person – cash or money order only), Permission Slip, and any Medical Forms Due to Angela Spears in the HMS Front Office
- November 15, 2018 – Second Payment of $125 Due (online or deliverable to Angela Spears in the HMS Front Office – cash or money order only)
- January 15, 2019 – Third Payment of $125 (online or deliverable to Angela Spears in the HMS Front Office – cash or money order only)
- February 19, 2019 – Fourth Payment of $125 (online or deliverable to Angela Spears in the HMS Front Office – cash or money order only)
- May 8, 2019 – Buses Leave Before School for the Trip
- May 11, 2019 – Buses Arrive Back from Trip in the Evening
- $570 - Wednesday, May 8 to Saturday, May 11, 2019
- $59 – Full trip refund option (in addition to the cost of the trip)
- Payments are made online through our online payment system (see website details below) OR via cash or money order
- Trip costs include transportation, hotel, a backpack for identification purposes, and three meals per day while we are in D.C.
- Trip costs DO NOT include breakfast or lunch the first day (please provide a sack breakfast and lunch that day that can be taken on the bus) OR spending money
- There will be no refunds of trip deposits after we pay the deposit invoice to NationsClassroom (Expected deposit date: End of November/Early December) with the exception of choosing to pay the trip full refund option (noted above).
- 60 to 90 days prior to the trip you will receive a refund of all monies paid to date, minus the deposit.
- 30 to 60 days prior to the trip you will receive a refund of half (50%) of all monies paid to date, minus the deposit, if the student's parent or guardian removes the student from the trip. If the school has reason to remove your student from the trip for academic or behavior purposes, you will receive a refund of all monies paid to date, minus the deposit.
- 30 days prior to the trip there will be no refunds, as HMS will have already paid the invoice in full to NationsClassroom.
Academic and Behavior Requirements
It is necessary for students to meet certain criteria to be eligible to go on the trip. These standards ensure the educational quality of the trip and the safety of all students.
- Academic Requirements: The academic performance of a student should reflect a positive effort. The team and special area teachers directly involved in the student's instructional program will verify the student's effort.
- Conduct Requirements: The conduct of the student should demonstrate that s/he is a responsible individual and must comply with the school's rules and policies. An ISS or OSS can result in ineligibility.
- Final Decision: The administration of the school reserves the right to make the final decision about the eligibility of the student.
Procedures for Registration (Also Found on the Trip Website)
Step 1: Review Parent/Guardian Informational Letter Found on the D.C. Trip Website
Step 2: Print and Sign the Permission Slip/Medical and Movie Consent Form
Print and sign the permission slip found on the trip website (or you can pick-up one in the HMS front office). Please be sure to include a valid e-mail address and phone number at the bottom of the permission slip.
Step 3: Pay Deposit
- Can be paid online via trip website OR cash or money order payable to Hopewell Middle School or HMS and turned into the HMS front office)
- The Permission Slip/Medical and Movie Consent Form MUST be turned in as soon as you pay the deposit of $195 (or full trip amount).
Step 4: Return Signed Permission Slip to Angela Spears in the HMS Front Office
Step 5: Medical Forms (Should be Turned in with Permission Slip to the HMS Front Office)
- Please only turn in a medical form if your student needs to be administered medication by a chaperone OR if your student needs to carry a medication
- There are two different forms that can be turned in. Please see the D.C. trip website for more information.
- Students who already have prescription medications on file in the school clinic are able to use their existing forms and medications. We will gather the correct forms from the clinic and send them on the trip with students the day of the trip.
Step 6: Registration Complete
- Your registration is complete when you have turned in a permission slip, paid at least the trip deposit, AND you receive an e-mail from Angela Spears (email@example.com) letting you know we received both items.
- Students will choose roommates after we have received all four payments for the trip (around the end of February)
- Students get to choose their roommates, 4 to a room only
- Students will wear school-provided backpacks at ALL times when they are off the bus and touring (this is for identification purposes). They will receive the backpacks upon boarding the bus for D.C. on Wednesday morning.
- Our tour company contracts with a security agency to secure hotel rooms at night. There will be two security guards per floor who stand watch over student rooms from the time we arrive back at the hotel in the evening until our morning wake-up call.
Each bus will have the same basic tour of D.C. The buses will not be staying together for the majority of the events due to the times on the tickets for some of the tours.
- U.S. Capitol (tickets needed)
- Holocaust Museum (tickets needed)
- Supreme Court
- Library of Congress
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Air and Space Museum
- Natural History Museum
- American History Museum
- Outside White House by Lafayette Park and by the Washington Monument (we will not go inside either of these but will have the opportunity to take pictures)
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Monuments and Memorials:
- Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, FDR, MLK, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iwo Jima