NOTIFICATION TO PARENTS OF THE SCREENING AND REFERRAL PROCESS
FOR GIFTED SERVICES
The Fulton County School System screens all students for eligibility for gifted services twice a year.
1. Automatic Screening- At the beginning of the school year, TAG teachers review previous year's test scores.
- Standardized Tests
- Students must have a minimum of an 85th percentile and a 90th percentile in two of the three areas of a nationally norm-referenced achievement test: Total Reading, Total Math, and Complete Battery. Supporting data is needed.
- STAR Assessments- students must have a minimum of 85th percentile in:
Grade K - Early Literacy (no additional supporting data needed)
Grade 1 – Math and Reading (no additional supporting data needed)
Grades 2-8 - Math or Reading (supporting data is needed)
- Acceleration Assessments (Grades K-1)
- Students must score 80% or greater on system's Acceleration Assessment for English/Language Arts and Mathematics. (No additional supporting data is needed.)
- Acceleration Assessments (Grades 2-3)
- Students must score 80% or greater on system's Acceleration Assessment for English/Language Arts or Mathematics. (Supporting data is needed.)
- Criterion-Referenced Competency Test (Grades 4-9)
- Students must score in the top 20 percent on the reading or mathematics section when compared to all other students in the system. (Supporting data is needed.)
- Grades (Grades 10-12)
- Students must have an overall cumulative average of 95 or greater. (Supporting data is needed.)
2. Reported Referrals- A student may be referred for consideration for gifted education services by teachers, counselors, administrators, parents or guardians, peers, self, and other individuals with knowledge of the student's abilities. All referrals are reviewed by the local Eligibility Team to consider if existing information warrants a formal testing for eligibility.
- Classroom Screening - Local schools select a two-week period in the winter to review all students in their school (K-11) using the Classroom Instrument for Screening Students.
Students who meet either the automatic screening OR classroom screening criteria AND who have supporting data gathered from test history, products, and/or advanced content levels are referred for gifted placement testing. Once referred to testing:
- Parents receive the Parent Notification for Testing Consent Form.
- Student is tested for the gifted program.
- Parents receive test results.If state eligibility is determined, students are placed in the TAG program with parental consent.
For more complete information regarding Fulton County Schools Gifted Services, please visit: